The key objective of the project is to bridge the gap between secondary schools and higher education & research by better integrating formal and informal learning scenarios and adapting both the technology and the methodology that students will most likely be facing in universities.
The EU Framework Programme for Research and Innovation “Horizon 2020”
In order to achieve this main goal, the project will fulfil the following set of specific objectives:
1. To assess the use of public and private cloud-based infrastructure services with proven track records in higher education and research, integrating and adapting them to the specific learning context of schools.
2. To design and develop a scalable and flexible integrated “application toolbox”, which supports student-driven, personalised, dynamic learning path creation with social sharing and interactions (i.e. project-based and peer-to-peer learning and assessment) on top of the abovementioned cloud-based service infrastructure.
3. To build and train the learning community for the specific learning context and to facilitate the development of the critical thinking by students and tutoring role of teachers that are essential in an informal learning environment.
4. To propose an executable roadmap for ensuring security and privacy. Specifically, the project will address filtering of network traffic at schools, handling of intellectual property rights, copyright materials, student identity, and the right to choose data storage locations.
5. To roll out and test the infrastructure service components and the application toolbox through very large-scale pilots in at least 7 European countries (Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Lithuania, Poland and Portugal) to identify strategies for scaling and achieving bigger impacts.
6. To develop, establish and operate a continuous risk assessment function during the entire lifetime of the project and to liaise with other related projects and initiatives.
7. To define an effective sustainability and exploitation framework based on GÉANT’s NREN community, their existing customer base, SME partners and connected schools in order to mainstream learning solutions for secondary education that are proven in higher education and research contexts.
Period of project implementation: 2017-01-01 - 2019-12-31
Project coordinator: GEANT Vereniging
Project partners: Sapienza University of Rome, University of Vigo, National Information Infrastructure Development Institute (Hungary), Instytut Chemii Bioorganicznej Polskiej Akademii Nauk, European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN), ETHNIKO DIKTYO EREVNAS TECHNOLOGIAS AE, Polytechnic of Porto - School of Engineering, Fundacao para a Ciencia e a Tecnologia, MACHBA - Interuniversity Computation Center, OWNCLOUD GMBH, Gesellschaft für wissenschaftliche datenverarbeitung mbh Göttingen, The Open University, Consortium GARR, National Technical University of Athens, TELTEK Video Research, S.L., Tel Aviv University, Kaunas University of Technology