The overall objective is to provide a stable environment for the implementation of GÉANT as the European Communications Commons for the European Research Area, which will provide the best possible digital infrastructure to ensure that Europe remains in the forefront of research. GÉANT’s extensive and long-standing contacts with large data disciplines such as biology, radioastronomy and high-energy physics help shape the evolution of the networking facilities required. This is complemented by partner contacts with research domains that are new users of high-performance networks and services, such as: digital preservation, real-time art and humanities.
The EU Framework Programme for Research and Innovation “Horizon 2020”
Of all the GN4-1 work package objectives detailed in this proposal, the following deserve to be highlighted:
• Maintain and enhance the production service and achieve cost reductions wherever possible without a negative impact on network service levels;
• Coordinate with the other European e-infrastructure efforts (e.g. PRACE, EUDAT, EGI, OpenAire) both individually and in the framework of the increased coordination effort planned by the EC to achieve optimal complementarity.
• Prepare a new round of Open Call projects: Integrate the lessons learnt from the previous round, identify the research subjects, call, evaluate and select the ones to be financed for starting immediately after the end of the GN4-1 project.
• Expand the footprint and the depth of services offered to roaming users with enhanced trust and identity services (coordinating with the AARC project) through Federation as a Service and with group and attribute management added to eduGAIN.
• Develop online, real-time services to improve the ease and function of videoconferencing, open learning support and general multimedia use.
• Review the existing service catalogue using the Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) process to carefully assess the cost/benefits of each to define the future service strategy in detail.
Period of project implementation: 2015-05-01 - 2016-08-31
Project coordinator: GEANT Limited
Project partners: University of Vienna, Institute for Informatics and Automation Problems of the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Armenia, United Institute of Informatics problems of National Academy of Sciences of Belarus, Bulgarian Research and Education Network, KYPRIAKO EREVNITIKO KAI AKADIMAIKO DIKTYO, Verein zur Förderung eines Deutschen Forschungsnetzes e.V. (DFN-Verein), Fundacao para a Ciencia e a Tecnologia, Consortium GARR, Georgian Research and Educational Networking Association, ETHNIKO DIKTYO EREVNAS TECHNOLOGIAS AE, Heanet Ltd, Educational Technology Foundation (Estonia), MACHBA - Interuniversity Computation Center, Jisc Collections and Janet Limited, Kaunas University of Technology, NORDUnet A/S, Entidad Publica Empresarial Red.es, Research and Educational Networking Association of Moldova, Groupement d'Internet pour Lereseau National de Telecommunications pour la Technologie l'Enseignement et la Recherche (RENATER), Fondation "Restena", Administration Agency of the National Network for Education and Informatics Research (RoEduNet), Zdruzenie Pouzivatelov Slovenskejakademickej Datovej Siete-SANET, SWITCH, Turkiye Bilimsel ve Teknolojik Arastirma Kurumu, University of Malta, Association of Users of Ukrainian Research and Academic Network (URAN), Institute of Mathematics and Informatics, University of Latvia, GEANT Vereniging, University of Belgrade, Akademska Raziskovalna Mreza Slovenije (ARNES), BELNET, HRVATSKA AKADEMSKA I ISTRAZIVACKA MREZA CARNET, Macedonian Academic and Research Network SKOPJE, Javna Ustanova Univerzitet Crne Gore Podgorica, Instytut Chemii Bioorganicznej Polskiej Akademii Nauk, SURFnet bv