Kaunas University of Technology (KTU) invites applications for the position of Dean of the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences.
KTU is a leading Lithuanian university providing a wide range of studies and closely cooperating with business. The University provides studies of engineering, technologies, physical and social sciences, humanities and arts. The research groups working at KTU contribute to the global scientific knowledge by conducting cutting edge interdisciplinary research on the most important questions of current time.
The Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences provides top-level bachelor’s (4), master’s (5) and PhD (2) studies. The Faculty’s researchers and scientists conduct interdisciplinary scientific research in the fundamental sciences field.
The Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences carries out research in five main areas connected to sustainable development of science and technologies. Faculty’s scientists and researchers take part in different national and international projects, are actively participating in science and research promotion and transfer.
The Faculty performs research in the following areas:
- Diagnostic and measurement technologies
- Smart environment and information technologies
- New materials for high-tech
- Technologies for sustainable development and energetics
- Sustainable socio-cultural development
The Dean is the executive head of the Faculty reporting to the Rector of KTU. The position has the ultimate responsibility for the Faculty’s teaching and research activities as well as its operational management. The Dean leads the Faculty’s management team, which includes department heads and study programmes managers.
The appointment to this position will be for a period of five years, with a possibility of reappointment for another period of five years. The same person may be appointed for the position for no more than two consecutive terms.
The Dean’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- development and maintaining of the vision for the Faculty’s educational and research activities;
- leading the Faculty’s team and directing the Faculty’s contribution to reaching strategic objectives of KTU;
- development and monitoring of the Faculty’s strategic and annual performance objectives;
- directing the Faculty’s efforts for continuous improvement of the study programmes quality and ensuring the provision of teaching based on contemporary didactics;
- development and expansion of the Faculty’s research portfolio;
- identification of opportunities and development of policies and incentives that encourage the Faculty’s interdisciplinary activities as well as closer cooperation with business and social partners, also development of partnerships with regional businesses and the community at large;
- fostering the Faculty’s collaborative relationships with other academic and non-academic organisational units of KTU;
- supporting the creation and implementation of innovative and effective student attraction and relationship management approaches as well as faculty staff recruitment, retention, development and performance management models;
- ensuring sound financial performance of the Faculty.
The Dean is expected to:
- have a compelling academic vision and be able to bring about educational and research innovations;
- take charge, possess superior organising, priority setting and self-motivation skills;
- have the ability to interact and communicate effectively as either a leader or as a team member and work collaboratively with colleagues from other organisational units;
- have the ability to adapt to dynamic work situations, manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines;
- be capable of implementing finance, staff and other resources management policies that support strategic objectives of the Faculty as well as those of the University;
- be a bridge builder and a team player, be able to persuade and inspire, as well as be receptive to opinions of others.
All applicants must hold a PhD (or equivalent) degree, have good knowledge of Lithuanian and professional English language.
The Application Process
The following documents must be submitted online at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- a cover letter;
- a description of proposed vision and objectives of the Faculty;
- an extended curriculum vitae (CV) including description of achieved research and innovation outputs as well as acquired academic, management and other relevant experience;
- a copy of the document certifying higher education;
- a copy of the document certifying PhD (or equivalent) degree;
- additional documents, information or references to support Applicant’s scientific, academic and management activities and qualifications (at the Applicant’s discretion).
The closing date for receipt of applications is 24 May 2019.
Questions regarding the application process should be addressed to Lina Žebrauskienė, Representative of the Human Resources (email: email@example.com, phone: +370 656 80 596).